[Mailman-Users] Dealing with ISPs that blacklist by message volune?

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Mon Sep 8 20:56:30 CEST 2008

Hi Beau:

We do not rate limit our mailman clients and we rarely have any black list
problems. When it does happen, it is usually with a single ISP and the issue
is resolved within 24 hours. However this is very rare and all of our
mailman clients are very happy with our service.

We also make sure we have spf, domainkeys, and ptr records in place which
generally keeps the major ISPs happy. We also configure our mailman server
to send no more than 15 messages per smtp connection which seems to please
most isps.

We have one discussion list (medical software) that has over 3100 members
that ends up sending over a 100,000 messages in a typical 8 hour day and
this particular server has NEVER been blacklisted.

I don't agree with your hosting provider's recommendation at all. If you are
interested you can check our mailman service out at
http://www.emwd.com/mailman.html.

Have a great day and I hope your list problems work out. Mailman is a
fantastic program. Don't let your hosting provider give it a bad rap.

Regards,
Brian