[Mailman-Users] monthly password reminders

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 2 03:18:56 CEST 2008

Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au wrote:

>on a different but related tact, what could I alter in the cron script to send
>out a 'reminder' that the user belongs to the list, but not actually send the
>password?  IT Security is a little antsy about having these passwords floating
>around through the email system (don't ask).

The easiest way to do this, although not the prettiest would be to
change the lines

                # treates person at dom.ain the same as PERSON at dom.ain.
                try:
                    password = mlist.getMemberPassword(member)
                except Errors.NotAMemberError:
                    # Here's a member with no passwords, which I think
was
                    # possible in older versions of Mailman.  Log this
and
                    # move on.
                    syslog('error', 'password-less member %s for list
%s',
                           member, mlist.internal_name())
                    continue
                optionsurl = mlist.GetOptionsURL(member)

(lines 152-162 in cron/mailpasswds) to

                # treates person at dom.ain the same as PERSON at dom.ain.
                password = 'password elided'
                optionsurl = mlist.GetOptionsURL(member)

or some such.

You may also wish to make an edited version of the cronpass.txt
template that explains what's going on, but note this must be a 'site'
template as monthly password reminders don't come from a list. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.