[Mailman-Users] Seeking qfiles/shunt recovery advice.

TGPlatt, WebMaster webwitchcraft at webwitchcraft.com
Fri Oct 31 14:10:21 CET 2008

As usual, you're right, Mark. That fixed it. As a result, I was able to
recover at least some of the archived messages from September and many of
the October messages that occurred during the "resurrection" and testing
period too.

My trouble here was I could find no docs about shunt to guide me and never
realized unshunt existed until I saw your note. I went for help to the only
place I knew of where mailman's command line utilities were listed:
www.gnu.org/software/mailman/site.html Shunt isn't even mentioned there.
Next, I checked the Installation Docs again. No mention of the command line
utilities there at all. Then I tried going to "man shunt" and struck out
there as well.

You know, Mark, the trouble with the knowledge base surrounding mailman is
there's an excess of knowledge but not enough "base" in any one spot to
enable one to find the 'firmly grounded' answers one needs. It's way too
'swampy' in many places. In fact, it reminds me of the way my father-in-law
(a lifelong soil scientist) used to describe the Rio Grande... Too thick to
drink and too thin to plow! ;-)

Without your patient and expert guidance, mailman would be nearly impossible
to install and use. Thanks again for your patience and help!