[Mailman-Users] What happened to my archive? Why isn't the archive process running?

TGPlatt, WebMaster webwitchcraft at webwitchcraft.com
Thu Oct 30 03:03:26 CET 2008

It looks to me like check_perms has a hole in it, Mark. If you take a close
look at the error I've been getting repeatedly since early July (see below),
you'll see it consistently occurs on the index.html table in the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/mylist directory. Here are the
permissions on that file:

12 -rw-r--r--  1 mailman mailman   11452 Oct 20 07:01 index.html

Please note that the permissions on that file are 644 and not 664. I just
ran check_perms on this account. It reported "No Problems Found". Yet when
Archrunner runs and tries to open that file to replace it, it reports a
permissions error for that file. In short, check_perms reports those 644
permissions are just fine while you're telling me they should be 664 and
ARCHrunner complains they're NOT fine. This suggests to me check_perms isn't
doing its job very well.

Am I wrong about this?

Here's the error ARCHrunner has been reporting repeatedly since early
July...

Oct 28 10:09:30 2008 (2589) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 13] Permission
denied: '/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/mylist/index.html'
Oct 28 10:09:30 2008 (2589) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 120, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 191, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in
_dispose
    mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 217, in
ArchiveMa
il
    h.close()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 324, in
close
    self.write_TOC()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 1097, in
write_T
OC
    toc = open(os.path.join(self.basedir, 'index.html'), 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/mylist/index.html'

What am I missing here?