[Mailman-Users] Correct Syntax For SUBSCRIBE Email Command

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 29 21:14:22 CET 2008

Steve Lund wrote:

>Sorry for the stupid question but the documentation shows no examples and I
>am getting tired of playing 20 guesses with Mailman and always loosing. How
>do I make the following work? -
>
>subscribe address= "John Q Public" <jqp123 at pobox.com>

You can't. Your syntax is wrong. It parses into 3 arguments:

address=
"John Q Public"
<jqp123 at pobox.com>

but that's not the issue. If it worked, you would need

subscribe 'address= "John Q Public" <jqp123 at pobox.com>'

but that won't work because this form doesn't expect a real name. You
need

subscribe address=jqp123 at pobox.com

Or if you need the real name, send the email

From: "John Q Public" <jqp123 at pobox.com>

with just

subscribe

as the command or send it to the -subscribe address.