[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 24 18:00:06 CEST 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Prior to 2.1.10, check_perms had a bug and didn't check the owner and
>> group permissions on the archives/private directory itself.
>>
>> Permissions should be 2771 or maybe 2770 (drwxrws--x or drwxrws---). If=
>
>> archives/private is not o+x, it needs to be owned by the web server
>> for public archive URLs to work.
>>
>I changed it to 2771 (I just needed too do a chmod o-r).

Then that wasn't the problem.

>> Subordinate directories should be 2775 (drwxrwsr-x) and subordinate
>> files 0664 (-rw-rw-r--) except for the archives/private/*/database/
>> directory and subordinate files which should not have 'other'
>> permissions.
>>
>OK, this is confusing. The public archive directories are links
>(lrwxrwxrwx) to the private archive directories which contain the actual
>archives. Those directories are drwxrwsr-x. The files are 755.

If the files are 755, that's OK, but they aren't executable so they
really should be 644.

And yes, the contents of archives/public are symlinks (the permissions
of which are irrelevant). That's so archives can be changed from
public to private and vice versa by just removing/creating symlinks.

>> It is not clear to my why a help command to the -request address would
>> try to lock the archive. Is (was) 2271 the pid of CommandRunner?
>>

>No, it is 2273. I'm not sure I understand this question. The pid would
>depend on when qrunner was launched. I have stopped and started mailman
>several times so the pid could be anything, couldn't it?

Yes, that's why I said "(was)". However, if CommandRunner is now 2773,
it is likely that 2771 is another runner and was at the time. In any
case, 2771 was the pid of the process that tried to create the lock.

I asked, because I don't believe that the

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman/database/2008-October-date.lock.dap002.2271.2'

error came from your 'help' command mailed to -request. In any case,
where did this error come from?. If it is in Mailman's error log,
there should also be a traceback. What is that?