[Mailman-Users] Question on version 2.1.11

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 23 18:24:49 CEST 2008

Brian Carpenter wrote:

>I have a quick question. I have a client who wishes to modify the password
>for a list member that has been added manually. However he is getting the
>following message:
>
>"The list administrator may not change the password for a user"
>
>Evidently this worked in the previous version but not in 2.1.11.

Quoting from the NEWS file under 2.1.10

- There is a new mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py variable
  OWNERS_CAN_CHANGE_MEMBER_PASSWORDS which controls whether the list
  owner can change a member's password from the member's options page.
  This defaults to No and should be changed to Yes only if list owners
  are trusted to not change a member's password, log in as the member
  and make global membership changes.

You can set

OWNERS_CAN_CHANGE_MEMBER_PASSWORDS = Yes

in mm_cfg.py to restore the pre 2.1.10 behavior, but you should be
aware of the above security implication.