[Mailman-Users] Deleting Files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 23 00:40:34 CEST 2008

David Andrews wrote:

>In my mailman/data sub-directory there are a bunch of files
>"bounce-eventsxxxx.pck" dated in the past, some 5 years old.  Can I
>safely delete these?

Yes.

They are (possibly) queued bounce events that have been lost for one
reason or another. If the pid xxxx doesn't exist, the file is dead.
Under ordinary circumstances, if they are more than 15 minutes old,
they are dead.

There are various reasons why these files can be left behind, but dead
ones are dead and can be safely removed. Actually, even live ones can
be removed and the worst that will happen is you will lose a few
bounces. The only live ones are non-zero-length files with a xxxx
equal to the pid of a currently running BounceRunner or OutgoingRunner.