[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 22 23:24:00 CEST 2008

That advanced the ball. The problem was that the mailman's primay group was mailman (Mandriva automagically creates a primary group for each user with the same name as the user name, that has been a problem more than once). I changed the primary group to mail. Thanks.

However, I am now getting permission denied errors on the database folders.

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman/database/2008-October-date.lock.dap002.2271.2'

I ran check_perms and all is OK. This has always been about ownership/permissions but I question why check_perms doesn't/won't fix it. What is it supposed to be?

FWIW, the owner:group for /usr/lib/mailman and /var/lib/mailman trees is mailman:mail.

I should also note that the command (it was just a help command to req) did work but I did not want to try actually mailing something to a list until this is all fixed.

Thanks again for your help and my ISP seems to be accepting email from the python.org domain again.