[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 21 01:32:22 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Dennis Putnam wrote:
>
>> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>> Can you go successfully go to a
>>> http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/listname page for a known
>>> listname even though it doesn't appear on the overview. If not, I
>>> think your web server is pointing at the wrong place.
>>>

>> OK, now we are making progress. Thanks. I can indeed see the list if I
>> supply the list name in the link like you suggested. I guess that means
>> the scriptalias is correct so the question now becomes, why do they not
>> show up on the admin or listinfo links? Does this also mean if I start
>> mailman it will work in spite of the incorrect web interface?
>>

> Yes, Mailman will probably work if you start it as long as aliases or
> whatever is required for mail delivery to the list are in place.
>
> As far as lists missing from the listinfo overview, we are back to the
> FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.
>
> Assuming the lists are public (Privacy options... -> advertised = Yes),
> the list doesn't appear on the overview because
>
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = On
>
> (the default), and the host portion of the list's web_page_url
> attribute does not exactly match the host portion of the URL used to
> access the page.
>
> Perhaps you had
>
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
> in mm_cfg.py on the old server and didn't carry it over. Or, perhaps
> you changed it in Defaults.py on the old server; if so, this is why
> you shouldn't do that.

I'm making some progress as the problems so far seem to be ownerhip and
permissions since the copy had to be done as root. I could not find
anything that tells me what the group and owner should be for each
associated directory but I think I have them all set to mailman:mail.
Now I am getting this error from postfix:

status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman". Command output: Group
mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as group "mail", but the system's mail server executed the mail script
as group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
group "mail", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=mailman'. )
Oct 20 19:25:15 dap002 postfix/qmgr[27883]: 9D0D819835: removed
Oct 20 19:25:20 dap002 postfix/smtp[28602]: 202FF19836:
to=<dap1 at bellsouth.net>, relay=mail.bellsouth.net[207.115.11.17]:25,
delay=6.8, delays=0.01/0.01/3.2/3.6, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok ;
id=20081020232532H05001u3qhe)
Oct 20 19:25:20 dap002 postfix/qmgr[27883]: 202FF19836: removed

I don't think I understand what to do at this point. Everything other
then what I copied was set per the Mandriva installer.