[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 19 17:03:22 CEST 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Dennis Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> I am installing a replacement server and am having trouble migrating
>>> Mailman. The installation works but none of my lists show up when I use
>>> the browser interface. However, when I run 'list_lists' from the command
>>> line they are there. Is this a config issue with just the HTML interface
>>> or is there something else fundamentally wrong?
>>>

>> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.
>>
>Thanks for the reply but I've already been there. That does not seem to
>be my problem. All the config files were copied from the working server
>as is (the mm_cfg.py file is correct). The new server has exactly the
>same hostname and IP address. The only (intentional) difference, other
>then the hardware, is the underlying OS (Mandriva Free 2007 Spring
>replacing Mandriva 2007). I suppose it is possible that this version of
>Mandriva put the Mailman files someplace different then the previous
>version (why it doesn't follow the standard is beyond me) but so far I
>have not found any other location with config files. I think Mailman
>needs a command that lists all the file paths it is using.

  grep PREFIX Mailman/Defaults.py

You said bin/list_lists shows the lists, so presumably they are where
they should be unless the web server is pointing at CGI wrappers from
a different installation.

Have you checked where the scriptalias in the web server points?

Can you go successfully go to a
http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/listname page for a known
listname even though it doesn't appear on the overview. If not, I
think your web server is pointing at the wrong place.