[Mailman-Users] /bin/sh: mailman: command not found

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 19 16:47:06 CEST 2008

Fahad Saeed wrote:

>I am trying to install mailman on my server.I followed this tutorial:
>

>http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...alMailman.html

I am guessing you mean
<http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMailman.html>

>After following all the steps, mailman seeems to be working as well as
>the webpage for the list. If I subscribe to the list, I get an email in
>my email inbox(hotmail, yahoo etc) for confirmation of the membership
>etc.

It is best to follow the instructions for the specific software package
you are installing rather than generic instructions that may not apply
to the specific RPM or other package you are installing.

>But there are two problems that I would like to discuss and your input would be appreciable
>

>1)If I email from one of my email box(subscribed to the list), the email is not forwarded to any of the members.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>. However, from the
information below, at least your 'mailman' site list seems to be
working as it should.

>2) I keep getting the following email in my administrator email box:
>

>	Code:
>	As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
>following mailing list posting:
>
>    List:    Mailman at mydomain
>    From:    root at mydomain
>    Subject: Cron <mailman at mia> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news
>    Reason:  Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
>At your convenience, visit:
>
>    http://mydomain/mailman/admindb/mailman
>
>to approve or deny the request.
>If I allow, "root" to be subscibed to the list, I get the email to all the recipients of the list, with the message:
>

>	Code:
>	[Mailman] Cron <mailman at mia> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_newsþ
>From: 	mailman-bounces at mydomain on behalf of Cron Daemon (root at mydomain)
>
>/bin/sh: mailman: command not found
>Any pointers would be appreciable.If any logs are required to get a clearer picture please let me know

This is where you get in trouble by following instructions not
appropriate for your package. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/AIE9>.