[Mailman-Users] Extreme Slow delivery of messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 17 20:37:09 CEST 2008

faisal anif wrote:

>I've recently purchased a dedicated server (P4 2.4, 1 GB RAM) with Cpanel/WHM .. I created a list with cpanel but noticed that exim is extremely slow in delivering the messages to the list  although I changed the following settings in WHM:
>
>The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited) = 0
>
>Number of minutes between mail server queue runs (default is 60) = 1
>
>I checked with the server's providers, there are no constraints on the outgoing messages from the server.
>
>what could the problem be?

Question 1 - is the delay in SMTP from Mailman to exim or is the delay
between exim and the remote MTA's?

Look in mailman's smtp log for messages like

Oct 17 09:47:08 2008 (30746)
<973585.76882.qm at web36908.mail.mud.yahoo.com> smtp to gpc-website for
23 recips, completed in 0.396 seconds

The above is a VERP'd delivery, so it represents 23 separate SMTP
transactions in 0.396 seconds. If your delivery is an order of
magnitude or more slower than this, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/doA9>.

If the delay is between exim and the remote MTA's, this is an exim
question, not a Mailman one, but the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/qoA9> may help.