[Mailman-Users] Users Being Unsubscribed

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 14 17:40:35 CEST 2008

David Andrews wrote:

>I run multiple lists using Mailman 2.1.8.  Periodically some users
>receive a message asking them to confirm their unsubscribe from a
>given list.  This happens despite the fact that they have taken no
>action to unsubscribe.  It doesn't happen a lot, but enough that I
>know something is going on.  It has even happened to me and my
>account that is subscribed to lists.
>
>What is triggering the unsubscribe attempt?  Is it spam that is doing
>it.  I know that if they ignore message, the unsubscribe attempt will
>age out, but they, the users don't understand what is going on.

It could be spam, but it would have to be spam that spoofed the members
address in the From: header and was sent to the listname-unsubscribe
or listname-leave address.

It could also be some person, for whatever reason, intentionally trying
to unsubscribe someone else, either via email or via the
http:/www.example.com/mailman/options/listname web page.

As Brad suggests, you need to check MTA logs and web server logs for
this activity at the time the confirmation notice was sent to narrow
it down.

There won't be anything in Mailman's logs about this. Mailman will only
log the unsubscribe after it is confirmed. Also, this isn't bounce
processing because bounce processing doesn't send an unsubscribe
confirmation; it sends a re-enable delivery confirmation.