[Mailman-Users] Timestamp on approved msg

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 9 21:39:25 CEST 2008

Bill Christensen wrote:

>At 8:23 AM -0700 10/9/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>Bill Christensen wrote:
>>>
>>>Is there a way to change the timestamp on mail to moderated lists to
>>>display the time it is approved/sent by Mailman instead of the time
>>>of the orignal sender's post?
>>

>>Only by changing the source code, and it isn't a good idea. RFC 2822
>>Sec. 3.6.1 [1] specifies the meaning of the Date: header and says in
>>part:
>>
>>    The origination date specifies the date and time at which the
>>    creator of the message indicated that the message was complete
>>    and ready to enter the mail delivery system.
>
><snip...>
>

>>[1] http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc2822.html
>
>The only required header fields are the origination date field and
>    the originator address field(s).
>

>I had a feeling we'd be up against something like that.
>
>But many a non-moderated listserv typically replaces the FROM header
>with the listserv's reply address, do they not?

Yes. Mailman does it too for 'anonymous' lists, even though strictly
speaking, I don't think it's compliant.

If you did decide to change the Date: header, I don't think there would
be any repercussions, at least on an announce list with locally
submitted posts.

I think there could be an issue on a moderated discussion list if
someone were to claim that her post was sent before certain other
information was available, but you munged the date, but it doesn't
seem likely.

If I were going to mung the Date: header, I would probably put the
original in an X-Original-Date: or similar header.