[Mailman-Users] Mailman and SMS

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 7 01:59:33 CEST 2008

Rick Bragg wrote:

> Is there a way to thin down Mailman to work nicely with SMS?  I would
> like to set up a system similar to Twitter. Has anyone done this at all?

Your biggest problem here is not Mailman.  Your biggest problem is that all
mail-to-SMS gateways that are in operation, especially including the
official gateways that are operated by the carriers, literally throw away
billions and billions of SMS messages per day, simply because they're
overloaded -- too much spam.

The highest level of service that the carriers provide regarding SMS
messages are those messages which are sent from one handset to another.  And
even there they toss away billions and billions of SMS messages per day.

So, do you really want to be shouting into hurricane force winds?

Solve the back-end SMS problems on the carriers, and then you can worry
about whether it makes sense to try to do any of the rest.  Otherwise, why
bother?