[Mailman-Users] Unsubscribe after just one hard bounce

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 5 01:02:27 CEST 2008

Edward Salm, PhD wrote:

>I set those thing BEFORE I posted. I have changed nothing since I posted.
>All things you have told e to do were already done BEFORE I posted.

OK. Sorry. Thank you for giving me the information. (You could have
saved time and energy on both sides if you had posted the details of
what you had done in the first place.)

Now, I have visited your web site at
<http://lambdaent.com/mailman/listinfo> and I see that you are running
a cPanel Mailman.

Please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/sYA9> which trys to
explain that the Mailman you are dealing with is cPanel's fork of GNU
Mailman and I can't help you with things that work differently in
cPanel.

BTW, quoting from your OP

>I have set the bounce_score_threshold to 1.0. However, since this list will
>only be used once a year, those bounces would not be unsubscribed for 3
>years!

and assuming cPanel has not completely broken this, once a user's
delivery is disabled by bounce, it does not take additional posts to
eventually remove them from the list. That wouldn't work in any case
since their delivery is disabled and they won't be sent the subsequent
posts.

In GNU Mailman, once a member has delivery disabled by bounce,
processing is totally under the control of cron/disabled and the
member will be removed after their notices are exhausted (default 3
notices X 7 day interval = 21 days).