[Mailman-Users] Mailing lists information page / charset problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 4 01:15:08 CEST 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>What do I need to do to make sure that the information page listing
>all public lists available at a given server displays characters
>without any problem? As it happens I have two lists in Polish and
>three in English. One of the Polish lists uses accented characters in
>its description and the characters are mangled when viewed at the
>information page.

There isn't much you can do about this in Mailman. The overview page is
generated in the language defined as DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE in
Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py and the page contains a

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=...">

where the charset is that defined for the language. The defaults are
'en' and 'us-ascii'.

You could put html entities representing the Polish characters in the
list's description, but this is not totally satisfactory as
description is also included in the List-ID: header in list emails, in
the From: header for anonymous lists and in the response to the email
'info' command for the list. In these places the HTML entities will be
rendered literally and no as the characters they represent.

You can also use something like apache's AddCharset directive to define
the charset of the page, but this applies serverwide and may not be
appropriate.