[Mailman-Users] Template question..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 24 02:28:51 CET 2008

Butch Evans wrote:

>Everything works exactly as expected, but there is one small
>problem.  Every time a new message is posted to any list that
>contains the updated template (which includes the search box),
>mailman will overwrite the archive index page without including the
>code for the search.  An example of what it is supposed to be is
>here: http://www.butchevans.com/pipermail/mikrotik/.  I have updated
>the template files in /usr/local/mailman/template/en/ and I thought
>this would fix the problem, but it does not appear to do so.

You shouldn't edit /usr/local/mailman/template/en/* templates because
they will be overwritten in an upgrade. You should put the edited
templates in /usr/local/mailman/template/site/en/ (which you have to
create) as discussed in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.

But that's not the cause of your problem. ArchRunner keeps a cache of
templates, so you need to restart Mailman or at least ArchRunner after
making any changes that affect archive templates. Did you do that?

>I am not certain if the problem occurs when a message is posted to
>the list or when the swish-e index is redone (I do this hourly via
>cron).  It appears, however, to happen on a new message post.  I
>just need a little assistance in finding how to determine which
>program is using the wrong template page and locating the particular
>template file that needs to be updated.  Any ideas?  FWIW, I updated
>to Mailman 2.1.11 today hoping that would fix the problem, but no
>joy.  :-(

And did that upgrade replace your edited templates?