[Mailman-Users] The Mysterious Disappearing Disk Space (fwd)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 20 18:28:30 CET 2008

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Enabling VERP might cause the MTA to use a lot more queue space, but I
>> don't see that it would affect Mailman much.
>
>The only difference was in the rate at which the "loss" accrued.  Roughly
>a 6x increase.

Mailman's VERP would only affect OutgoingRunner and SMTPDirect.py, and
all it would do is cause additional SMTP transactions with the MTA.
Thus, this might help localize the problem to this specific area.

>> There almost certainly is something in Mailman's error log unless the
>> logfile just can't be grown to accommodate the message.
>
>No, there really isn't.  I have combed through all of them (bounce, error,
>mischeif, post qrunner, smtp & failure, subscribe and vette.  Did I miss
>anything?), with no sign of anything being wrong.

Near the beginning of Mailman's scripts/driver, you will see

STEALTH_MODE = 1

if you change this to

STEALTH_MODE = 0

or

STEALTH_MODE = False

The traceback from the "bug" message should be included with the
message. This may help if this particular issue recurs.