[Mailman-Users] spam gatewayed from Usenet to mail bypasses our spam filters

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 19 04:17:51 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > >>That's probably not a great idea as ToUsenet comes pretty late in the
 > >>pipeline.
 > >
 > >ToUsenet is only involved in gating mail from the list to the
 > >newsgroup. Newsgroup to mailman is handled by cron/gate_news which
 > >drops messages directly in Mailman's incoming queue.
 >
 > There is another issue. Without the fromusenet flag in the
 > metadata,

Sorry about the bizarre phrasing.  This is what I had in mind when I
mentioned ToUsenet.

 > I think the approach below would be better.
 >
 > >As indicated in another reply, another approach would be to have
 > >gate_news run the message through the spam checks directly before
 > >queueing it.

As Brad points out, though, those checks are already done by the MTA,
and in fact may not even be implementable outside the MTA (if they're
implemented as milters, for example).

In general, there really is a tradeoff here.  Although Skip seems
happy enough, as I guess SpamBayes catches most (all?) of the spam his
system catches.