[Mailman-Users] spam gatewayed from Usenet to mail bypasses our spam filters

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Nov 18 08:46:26 CET 2008

on 11/18/08 1:28 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull said:

> Well, you want to watch out for greylisting.  But running them through
> SpamBayes from Mailman should be trivial.  You could also add (with a
> slight performance hit) a Handler that calls out to SpamBayes,
> SpamAssassin, etc, only when the MTA didn't already do that, or only
> when the message's from_usenet flag is set.

We've got more to the anti-spam processing for our mail server
infrastructure than just SpamBayes.  We've got several components whose
function I only know about slightly in passing, and they all have an
impact on the incoming mail traffic.  We wouldn't be doing them if they
didn't have an impact.

I am a fan of SpamAssassin in general, but it is not part of that
toolkit.  I'm not sure how much some of those other components are
specifically tied into postfix, and may be of limited use with any other
program.  And of course the host-level firewalling we're doing to reject
connections from the worst abusers operates at a completely different level.

There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of just having all this
traffic handled via e-mail, just like all the other bi-directional
traffic we're doing.

We will have to be careful about loops, however.  We wouldn't want to
gateway the same thousand-articles-plus per day many times over.