[Mailman-Users] Recommended way to get subscriber list with fullnames?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 14 00:40:52 CET 2008

Jan Steinman wrote:

>I put 'list_members -f -p NewsletterName | sort -d -b -f' in a php
>script with secret URL for her to use, but it is failing with
>"Permission denied: '/private/var/mailman/lists/newslettername/
>config.pck'."
>
>Should I simply change perms on that file (and any others that may
>come up once that one can be read), or is there a better way of
>accomplishing this goal?

You can't change permissions because these files are continually being
re-created, and the change won't stick.

Your php script runs as the web server user and that user does not have
permission on these files, and you don't want it to for security
reasons.

Mailman itself accesses all its CGIs via SETGID wrappers which run as
group 'mailman' which is how Mailman's security works. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/tYA9>.

I don't think you can do this directly with php because SETGID won't
work on a php script. I suppose you could build a compiled SETGID
wrapper to invoke command line php, but it would be just as easy to
just invoke a shell to run those commands directly from a compiled
SETGID CGI.