[Mailman-Users] VirtualDirectories and /var/www setup

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 13 17:58:12 CET 2008

Scott Race wrote:

>How does Apache know to route domain traffic to
>www.mydomain.com/mailman/create to the appropriate place? I'm mostly
>wondering this for a third domain setup, will I need a VirtualDirectory
>for the site, even if there's nothing in the root of the site?  I'm
>guessing I will, but just wanted to verify the setup.
>

>Also wondering if domains on my server that are not hosting mailmain
>sites will also by default have /mailman/create directories, since it
>seems like it's applying it to all domains.

The directive

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

(or whatever the actual path is in your case) establishes the link
between URLs of the form http://www.example.com/mailman/xxx/...
and the CGI wrapper /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/xxx which is invoked to
procees the request for the URL.

You can put this directive in http.conf outsite of any <VirtualHost>
blocks, and it will apply to all URLs of the above form that address
the server.

Alternatively, you can put it inside <VirtualHost> blocks an it will
only apply to those virtual hosts that contain it.

There is no "mailman/create" directory per se, there is only the one
/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/ directory with the several wrappers such
as /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create. Whether or not this is invoked
for a particular host URL depends on where the ScriptAlias
directive(s) is/are.