[Mailman-Users] Default cahrset for 'de' to ISO8859-15/UTF-8?

tct13 tiberiuturbureanu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:10:32 CET 2008

Hello Stefan,

Stefan Förster-2 wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> I wonder if there are any plans to change the default charset for the
> 'de' locale of Mailman to anything else than ISO8859-1, because this
> charset cannot even represent our current currency symbol.
>
> I have changed this myself for now (adding needed variables to
> mm_cfg.py, converting translated templates to the new charset,
> recreating pod files)

I am Romanian and want MM to use utf-8 encoding because iso-8859-2
(current MM charset for Romanian) is not commonly used due its wrong
display of ş and ţ letters.

I would really appreciate if you would tell us what changes you have made
to your MM instance so German can have utf-8 encoding.

I have tried changing only the line in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py
add langauge ("Romanian", ....... charset="utf-8")
but that's not enough.

After I make this change I end up with stuck emails
(MM doesn't deliver them any more).

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon
Tibi

P.S. My MM version is 2.1.9