[Mailman-Users] Problems with Mailman/Exim4 mailinglists for certain senders

Nicolas Neuss neuss at math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Nov 3 21:40:53 CET 2008

[I tried first to get help for this problem using the list for the Debian
package of Mailman - unfortunately, no one answered.  So I try it again
here.  If this does not succeed, I will try another MTA instead of Exim4.]

Dear Mailman experts,

I'm using the Mailman package with Exim 4 on a Debian Etch/testing system
'ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de' (which is an alias for
'ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de', BTW).  I followed the installation
instructions in README.Debian.Exim4, however, I do still have problems,
because the mailing lists do not work for some senders.

An example is the list 'kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de'.
It seems that emails from Solaris/Sendmail systems do not get through,
because the university mail server asks for the user 'kurs-6484' on my
server, and is told that this user does not exist.  However, sending from
other machines to this list (e.g. machines running Postfix or Exim4) seems
to work without problems and the Exim 4 logs show that the mailman_router
and mailman_transport is correctly used in that case.

The error message I receive when I send from the Solaris system is as
follows:

The original message was received at Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)
from neuss at localhost

kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
    (reason: 550-Callout verification failed:)

... while talking to mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de.:
>>> RCPT To:<kurs-6484 at ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>
<<< 550-Callout verification failed:
<<< 550 550 Unrouteable address
550 5.1.1 kurs-6484 at ruprecht.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de... User unknown

Reporting-MTA: dns; ma-srv.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; kurs-6484 at ma-slave.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mailin.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550-Callout verification failed:
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:57 +0200 (MEST)

From: "Dr. Nicolas Neuss" <neuss>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:02:44 +0200 (MEST)

Test