[Mailman-Users] Mailman on multiple domains

TGPlatt, WebMaster webwitchcraft at webwitchcraft.com
Sat Nov 1 14:35:31 CET 2008

Thanks for the clarifications, Mark. I had actually forgotten that the way I
formatted the Virtual_Hosts line was equivalent to providing individual
add_virtualhost lines. So, you undoubtedly saved me some grief there.

Those few lines you see in my apache-postfix-mailman setup files only took
me a week to figure out through web research and trial and error without
pestering you for help. You were so helpful and generous with your support
in June and July, I didn't want to show up at your door with hat in hand
expecting you to lead me by the nose through this setup as well.

As far as the apache config goes, I deliberately opted to put the mailman
commands in individual virtual host files because I don't necessarily plan
to make mailman available to every domain on my server until I've learned
more about how its setup needs to work. For that reason (and since the
Debian definition readily supports it, I chose to install the mailman
definitions domain-by-domain rather than place them at a higher level in the
Apache Definitions and grant them automatically to ALL domains.

And yes, for the record, you're right. I realize these lines:

>        <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/">
>#                AddDefaultCharset Off
>        </Directory>

do nothing at the moment. I included them as a reminder to myself that
additional definitions that involve a single mailman domain CAN be included
in Apache's VirtualHost definition files. I believe the post where I found
those example lines recommended adding them as part of a solution designed
to support multiple character sets and languages. As I recall, there may
also need to be an appropriate character set defined for EACH language as
well. In short I retained those lines as a form of reminder -- a "footprint
in the sand" if you will.

As always, thanks for your thoughtful, wise and astute guidance, Mark.
Please keep eating your wheaties, friend. I'm afraid mailman would soon be
unusable without your amazing knowledge and insight at the support helm! :-)

Best Professional Regards,
Greg