[Mailman-Users] sharing administrator passwords

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Tue May 27 16:26:51 CEST 2008

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> replied:

>Right, what people want is a way to remember one password to administer
>15 or so lists on one site, without having the site password, because
>there is _nobody_ we trust to administer all the lists.  So that password
>is only used by sysadmins for rare emergencies.

If you are the only admin for each of the 15 lists, then set the admin
password to one string that you will remember.  The problem arises when
you are not the only admin, and each of the 15 lists has a different
set of co-admins.  Then every one of those co-admins will need to know
the one admin password, and those co-admins will then have admin access
to lists for which they are not administrators.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov