[Mailman-Users] sharing administrator passwords

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 26 20:19:42 CEST 2008

Cyndi Norwitz writes:

 > What is a pain for me to remember is the link to get to each interface.  I
 > use a custom page for my new window/tab page in FF.  It has them listed so
 > I can click and go.

What I do is to create a bookmark folder in FireFox containing a bookmark
for each list such as

    Name: NAME-OF-LIST

(ISTR I first heard of this from Barry Warsaw.)  If I wanted that to be
secure and/or portable, I'd put it in an HTML file on a USB stick.  It
would be easy to generate such files, and any security risk would be
restricted to the lists managed by people who scatter such information
around for snoops to see, which is about the best you can do.  I
believe that FireFox at least can import such pages as bookmark folders.

I realize that this is less than what really *should* be possible in
this day and age, but I hope it helps.

 > I do like your idea though of having one main account per person which will
 > then give you allowed access to all the lists you own or moderate (and
 > subscribe to).  Don't know how doable it is though...

This is definitely coming in Mailman 3, since user management will be
separated from individual lists.  The same mechanism can surely be
adapted to admin account management.