[Mailman-Users] Major problems with privacy and mailman lists and harvesters

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat May 24 05:38:47 CEST 2008

When creating archives for one of the lists I run (until recently
with another listserv software) I wrote a relatively simple
find/replace grep which replaces the domain names so that email
addresses become billc at ...  In this case, the list itself is by
invitation only but the archives are open to all, so the list members
can figure out who the posters are easily enough and some non
listmembers may as well, but the spammers won't have a clue.

Having just moved over to Mailman recently I have yet to implement
that fix on my lists but I hope to do so in the fairly near future.

Another trick that I've used with our web databases is to assign an
ID to a user and create a spam-resistant mail form which doesn't
display the email address in the source code, but instead retrieves
it via the ID behind the scenes when the email is sent.  It's
probably similar to the Topica method that Michael Welch posted
about, and it works fairly well for us (though in the last couple of
weeks someone found their way around it.  I still need to figure out
the hole and plug it up).

The big problem I see with implementing most of the anti-spam tricks
I employ as a relatively small web developer on as large a scale as
incorporating them into Mailman is that with enough motivation and a
little research a spammer could still script around them and exploit
Mailman lists, either by harvesting or direct sending.   They're
typically not overly motivated to do so for our little market, but
with all the Mailman lists out there it would certainly be a target.