[Mailman-Users] Mailman Mail Queue

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 20 20:10:39 CEST 2008

Jesse Storry wrote:

>What I am looking for is a folder to drop the messages into such that
>they get picked up and processed by Mailman, or is there a program to
>invoke which takes an email message as an argument? I have been a little
>unclear as to how Mailman finds and processes new mail.

The 'standard' way is mail gets queued in one of Mailman's queues by
being piped to Mailman's mail/mailman wrapper with appropriate
arguments. How this process is accomplished with standard qmail alias
files is described in the article at
<http://www.kroon.co.za/howto.php?howto=qmail_mailman> referenced in
Jaco Kroon's reply in this thread.

There is another way to deliver mail to Mailman using a maildir. See
the doc string at the beginning of Mailman/Queue/MaildirRunner.py for
more information.

In order to use this method, you need to put

USE_MAILDIR = Yes
QRUNNERS.append(('MaildirRunner', 1))

in mm_cfg.py. You can also specify a path to the maildir with

MAILDIR_DIR = '/path/to/maildir'

if you don't want to use the default which is Mailman's qfiles/maildir/.