[Mailman-Users] excessive bounce notifications..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 19 16:22:16 CEST 2008

Bill Christensen wrote:

>At 7:48 AM -0700 5/18/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>Mailman's spam filters only apply to mail to the list and list-owner
>>addresses. They don't apply to mail to -bounces.
>>
>>The remainder of Stefan's advice is good.
>>

>If the original mail was sent to the list address
>by a non-member and bounced with an autoreply,
>would the spam filter have been applied?  Is the
>filter only applied after the message passes a
>member/non-member test?

For mail sent to the list posting address or the list-owner address,
Mailman's header_filter_rules are applied before anything else.
Mailman's bounce_matching_headers (a misnomer because it's actually a
hold, not a bounce) are applied later to list posts (after member
tests) and not at all to list-owner mail.

>My guess is that there's message rejection going
>on: the spam is coming to the list address,
>bouncing out as being from non member addresses,
>and bouncing back to the -bounce address.   If
>that's the case, stop autoreplying to non member
>mail - or teach your moderators to discard rather
>than reject.

Those are good suggestions, but in the case of the OP, the issue is
much simpler than that. Spam is sent directly to the list-bounces
address.

>Spam filtering before it gets to Mailman is still probably the best choice.

Yes.