[Mailman-Users] server load..

Stefan Förster cite at incertum.net
Fri May 16 21:21:46 CEST 2008

* Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi guys, I posted this message a couple of days ago but didn't get
> any satisfying answers.. neither did I find a good answer in the Faq
> cause it's too "technical" .. so here's my message again:

Actually, Brad Knowles' answer was quite good.

> hi mailman guys .. my question is, I have a 100,000+ subscribers
> mailing list, and hosting it with godaddy.com (Celeron 2000, 2 GBs
> RAM) .. but they only allow 100,000 emails per day for each
> dedicated server, so I have to buy a new server now, and it's a bit
> expensive.. I found another cheap service, $30/month dedicated
> servers and they offer unlimited emails per day.. but its
> characteristics are a bit low: AMD, 512 MB RAM .. my question is,
> will mailman with such a huge list which is also rapidly growing
> work on such server? knowing that I only send 1 email newsletter a
> day to the list and none of the users can send to the list but me..

A day has 24 hours. Each hour has 60 minutes. Each minute has 60
seconds. That makes for a total of 86400 seconds per day.That means
that you had to send out about 2 mails per second. Given a setting of
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS of 500, that means that mailman would deliver about 200
mails to your MTA - non personalized, non VERP'ed. This is not a
problem at all from an MTA's point of view (perhaps somebody with more
knowledge of Mailman can, again, say something about Mailman's memory
requirements with that many recipients). Even with default
configurations and a rather poor DNS cache, I can't see a problem with
that.

Now, you still have to do bounce processing - which again, with 100000
recipients, shouldn't be that much of a problem.

So given that you have a non-personalized list, don't do VERP, I'd
say: Go for it.

If you need personalization or need to do VERP in Mailman: I'd say
forget it.

Now if you want a more educated answer, review what Brad said.

> another question, is it easy to install mailman manually? cause in
> godaddy's control panel it's ready to install with 1 click.. but
> with the new cheap service I have to install it myself.. and is
> there a ready-to-install script that does everything automatically
> like that in the control panels? Thanks for everything mates ..

Mailmans installation manual http://www.list.org/mailman-install/index.html
is one of the most detailed and easy to understand writings I have ever seen.

Ciao
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9