[Mailman-Users] how senddigests cron are generated & how can I stopit?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 12 19:16:19 CEST 2008

Monia BEN MLOUKA wrote:

>I've just start to monitor a system which implements mailman,
>and I receive a regular email (every day) from senddigests cron with this body message:

This part of the issue, which isn't the underlying problem, is
Mailman's crontab is mailing errors to the 'mailman' user which
happens to be the 'mailman' site list.

Put a

MAILTO=user at example.com

at the beginning of the crontab to get these mails sent where you want
rather than having them rejected by the mailman list and then maybe
receiving the reject.

>There is a traceback attached in the mail :
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 94, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 86, in main
>    mlist.send_digest_now()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 60, in send_digest_now
>    ToDigest.send_digests(self, mboxfp)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 132, in send_digests
>    send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 306, in send_i18n_digests
>    msg = scrubber(mlist, msg)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 227, in process
>    url = save_attachment(mlist, part, dir, filter_html=False)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 466, in save_attachment
>    fp = open(path, 'w')
>IOError: [Errno 36] File name too long: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/[too long file name].html'

One list has a message in it's lists/<listname>/digest.mbox file which
has an attached file with this long file name. Depending on your
Mailman version and whether the size of the digest.mbox is bigger than
digest_size_threshold, the same error and traceback may be in
Mailman's error log for each list post.

You need to find the offending lists/<listname>/digest.mbox and edit it
to change the too long file name. Since you know the name from the
error message, you can probably find the mbox with

  grep 'piece of long name' lists/*/digest.mbox