[Mailman-Users] Dealing with multiple charsets (list messages and web archive)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 10 18:57:12 CEST 2008

Stefan Förster wrote:
> Foolow-up to myself:
>
> * Stefan Förster <cite at incertum.net> wrote:
>> sometimes living outside of the U.S., or better said, living otside
>> "us-ascii" can be a real pain. Let me explain, considerning a default
>> installation for a list with default language "de". The LC_DESCRIPTIONS
>> dictionary will include:
>
> I've read
>
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp
>
> I still would like to do charset conversion on MIME encapsulated
> messages. We do our best not to let HTML message trhough to the list
> address, so we will only deal with text/plain and various binary
> content types.

What Mailman version are you using?

Do you have problems with messages which are not multipart?

Beginning in Mailman 2.1.6, a single part text/plain message should be
coerced to Unicode, have headers and footers added as Unicode and then
coerced back to the character set of the list (or of the incoming
message if that fails).

Also, have you tried setting Non-digest options -> scrub_nondigest to
Yes? This may not be satisfactory for you, but if it is, it may help
with some of your other issues.

Also, if your Mailman version is 2.1.5 or older, upgrading may help.