[Mailman-Users] clarification on virtual domains

bijayant kumar bijayant4u at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 06:27:28 CEST 2008

Thanks Mark for your reply. It is a great help to
understand some basic things about mailman.

--- Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> bijayant kumar wrote:
> >
> >I have postfix configure for virtual domain.
> Whenever
> >i add a new list for a new domain, it takes the
> >new-list at previousdomain.com as a email address for
> >newly created list and all the aliases being
> generated
> >on the basis of previousdomain.com. When i change
> the
> >default host this list prefers setting from the
> >interface, then mails are started to bounce saying
> >user unknown in virtual mailbox table. I will
> explain
> >my problem with the example...
> >I have three virtual domain dom1.com,
> >dom2.com,dom3.com
> >in mm_cfg.py i have
> >POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['dom1.com']
> >add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
> >
> >It works fine. lists created takes the address
> >list1 at dom1.com.
> >
> >But when i add a new list say list2 like
> >
> >POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS =
> >['dom1.com','dom2.com']
> >add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
> >add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom2.com')
> >
> >The newly created list2 takes the address
> >list2 at dom1.com
>

> Are you sure it isn't the other way around? When you
> have
>
> add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
> add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom2.com')
>
> The second entry effectively replaces the first
> because what they do is
> add entries to a Python dictionary (a hash table).
> The first argument
> is the key and the second is the value. So the first
> above makes an
> entry with key 'lists.bijayant.com' and value
> 'dom1.com' and the
> second replaces the value for key
> 'lists.bijayant.com' with 'dom2.com'

I am not sure about this functionality of python, but
what you are saying seems to right. After this
explanation, it is little bit clear to me now why the
second domain is taking the previous value. But i dont
have any other option because i have to use only one
url i.e 'lists.bijayant.com'. So all the lists created
have to take the same url 'lists.bijayant.com'.

> >when i update hostname setting from the list2
> >Administrative interface, mail start bouncing.
>

> If you run Mailman's bin/genaliases after editing
> the list's host_name,
> that should fix the virtual maps.

I have not tried this yet, because list creator is
creating the list via the web-interface and he do not
have access the box where the mailman is running. I
will try this and let you know.

> --
> Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is
> for gamblers,
> San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use
> your sense - B. Dylan

Bijayant Kumar