[Mailman-Users] Join List Problem

Bill Honneus (honneus) honneus at cisco.com
Tue May 6 04:05:10 CEST 2008

>When I send an email to test-join at my.domain.com, I get the following
>returned email error:

The first question is how many scripts/ directories you have? Judjing
from the path to the wrapper, there should be a
/usr/local/mailman/scripts/ and that's it. Check that this is the case.

[BillH] I have /usr/local/mailman/scripts, and there is also a
/usr/lib/mailman/scripts which I think was left over from an old
installation.

Also check that you have /usr/local/mailman/lists/test/ and that it
contains a config.pck file.

[BillH]  I have this.

Also look at /usr/local/mailman/scripts/paths.py. It should have

prefix = '/usr/local/mailman'

[BillH] I have this as well.

>I don't understand why it says it can't find the "test" list as my
>apache server finds it just fine via the web browser, and I see the
>"test" appear in the "lists" folder underneath /usr/local/mailman.

Sendmail is invoking the wrapper at /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman, and
it is invoking some scripts/join script, but the paths.py in that
scripts/ directory doesn't have the appropriate prefix.

[BillH] Since I ran the ./configure and make install on the new
installation, I can't think why it might be going to the old
installation's scripts folder, especially since the prefix in the
paths.py is correct.

Since the web interface works and normally invokes the scripts/driver
script from the same scripts/ directory, I have to think that the mail
wrapper was compiled with a different 'prefix' and is pointing at a
different scripts/ directory.

[BillH] I don't think that this is the case.  See my above comment.

Thanks,

Bill