[Mailman-Users] Mail/News duplicates problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 1 22:08:06 CEST 2008

NFN Smith wrote:

>> Exactly. When cron/gate_news polls the news group and posts messages to
>> the Mailman list, it puts a fromusenet flag in the message's metadata.
>> The ToUsenet handler looks for this flag and will not process the
>> message if it is present.
>
>OK, that makes sense.
>
>Any idea why fromusenet is getting ignored (or perhaps, never being
>created)?

I don't think that's what's happening at all. I think a more likely
scenario is, as Brad suggested in his reply, that the original is
posted to the newsgroup with a copy to the Mailman list. Thus, there
are really two copies of the post, one to the news group which gets
gated to the Mailman list and one to the Mailman list which gets gated
to the news group. Do the 'duplicates' appear on both the Mailman list
and the news group? Note that even if two copies are sent to the list
members, the post may only appear once in the archive on the Mailman
side if the two had the same message id.

I can't be sure that this is what's happening, but it would help to see
the full headers from both posts on the news group and from however
many copies of the post are in Mailman's
archives/private/list.mbos/list.mbox file.