[Mailman-Users] alias question...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 31 23:55:32 CEST 2008

Dov Oxenberg wrote:
> Hi,
> Actually this is probably the fourth or fifth time I am revisiting
> "Chapter 6."
> But I seem to be making better progress now than in my previous attempts.
> I am at the part where I am trying to make sure data/aliases* have the
> correct ownership, GID, etc.  When I issue "genaliases" it seems to
> work...at least I get the command prompt back with no reported errors.
> Then, I try to do "chown mailman:mailman..." and am receiving the error
> message "chown: cannot access 'data/aliases*' : No such file or directory"

Have you set

MTA = 'Postfix'

in mm_cfg.py? Probably you have since genaliases would report a lot of
aliases if it were the default MTA = 'Manual'.

> I should point out in my installation the path to the mailman bin is
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin in case that makes any difference.  But I thought
> by running the "genaliases" (from the mailman "bin" directory) the
> script would create the aliases for me???  Obviously I am mistaken...but
> what am I doing wrong now????

Assuming that you do have MTA = 'Postfix', you need to be in the right
directory when you do the chown. This certainly isn't
/usr/lib/mailman/bin. It may be /usr/lib/mailman/data, or something else
  depending on how the Mailman you are installing was configured. The
name of the directory id data/ and it will be in whatever was configured
as var-prefix which may be /usr/lib/mailman/ or something in /var.