[Mailman-Users] rebuilding .mbox

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 31 22:51:33 CEST 2008

Zack Galbreath wrote:

>I accidentally blanked the .mbox file of a mailing list of mine.   Is it
>possible to rebuild this file from the HTML archives?

Not really.

There were headers in the .mbox file that aren't anywhere in the
pipermail archive. That information is lost as is the original MIME
structure. The closest you can come is if you have all the periodic
.txt files, you can 'unmung' the addresses in the From_ separators and
From: headers and concatenate the files, but these files contain
flattened/scrubbed messages, not the originals. Any non-plain text
parts or text/plain parts with unknown character set have been
separately stored and replaced by hyperlinks.

You're better off looking for a recent backup if there is one.