[Mailman-Users] alias question...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 31 05:09:36 CEST 2008

Dov Oxenberg wrote:

>It has to do with postfix not being able to locate the aliases.db and I am getting lots of these in the syslog:
>fatal: open database /etc/aliases;hash:/etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or directory

This looks like an error in Postfix's main.cf. It appears you have
something like

alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases;hash:/etc/mail/aliases.db

or possibly it's

alias_database = dbm:/etc/aliases;hash:/etc/mail/aliases.db

In any case, the rhs should be

   dbm:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mail/aliases

(i.e. the delimiter between tables is comma and/or whitespace, not
semicolon, and hash references do not include the .db extension).

>In looking through the files on my machine, I have an aliases.db under /etc as in /etc/aliases.db and another under /etc/mail/
>If I am interpreting the permissions on these aliases.db files, the one under /etc/mail appears to be associated with a smxx account, which I am guessing is Sendmail?  The other one, under the root of /etc is associated with the root user.
>I thought Mailman should have configured aliases for me when I installed it???
>In any event, how can I fix this problem?

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and the "6.1.1
Integrating Postfix and Mailman" page linked from there.