[Mailman-Users] Where's my mail going?

Jon Slater jon.slater at mesanetworks.net
Sun Mar 30 21:15:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just set up a new Mailman server (Fedora Core 8) and followed the
instructions I found in the FAQs to move my lists.

It seemed pretty straight forward, but I have a hitch.

If I send e-mail from a member's e-mail address, to the membership list, I
get a record in my "/var/log/mailman/post" file that reads:
Mar 30 12:08:10 2008 (3770) post to board from jon.slater at mesanetworks.net,
size=4564,
message-id=<005e01c89291$0f1e0d00$2d5a2700$@slater at mesanetworks.net>,
success

So that part looks encouraging, but I never receive the e-mail to the list
members.

I see the e-mail posted in the list archive, but no list member receives it.

I *do* see a record in /var/log/mailman/smtp that reads:
Mar 30 13:08:17 2008 (3770)
<007601c89299$7582d820$60888860$@slater at mesanetworks.net> smtp to board for
1 recips, completed in 0.129 seconds

So, it looks like it was sent out.  But I never received it.

The way my lists are configured, I auto-reject any mail not posted by a list
member.  So, I tried posting from a non-member e-mail address, and I got the
nasty "you're not allowed" e-mail.

So my server is able to send e-mail, and apparently recognizes the 'good'
e-mail address as a member.  It's also recognizes the 'bad' e-mail address
and sends the "you're not allowed".

How can I figure out where my e-mail is going?

Thanks in advance!

Jon