[Mailman-Users] PCLinuxOS Newbie

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 28 19:36:01 CET 2008

Induction Services wrote:

>PCLinuxOS has Mailman listed in its repository, but on installation it
>gives the error about en-US.  The archives here suggest that the
>solution is to config and make from scratch, as apparently wherever the
>binaries came from there is an issue with an errant entry in one of the
>files.

If I recall, some broken distros include(d)

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en-US'

in Defaults.py

All you need to do to fix this is put

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'

in mm_cfg.py.

>OK, so I went to the manual, and hit a wall trying to create the user.
>The instructions give exact characters to type in to useradd.

Actually, it doesn't. At least if you are reading
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node4.html>, it says

  useradd -c''GNU Mailman'' -s /no/shell -d /no/home -g mailman mailman

and the '' are intended to mean " so the "exact" command should be

  useradd -c"GNU Mailman" -s /no/shell -d /no/home -g mailman mailman

But this assumes that useradd won't validate the entries for shell (-s)
and home directory (-d). Personally, I would use

"-s /sbin/nologin" and "-d /usr/local/mailman" as the shell and home
directory, assuming you are going to install in the default
/usr/local/mailman directory.