[Mailman-Users] creating new virtual lists

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Mar 27 20:57:20 CET 2008

billc sent the message below at 10:35 3/27/2008:
>Hi again,
>
>I'm still having a little trouble with virtual hosts, but most of it
>is now working properly.  Thanks for all the assistance.
>
>What's the correct syntax for Virtual_Hosts {} in Defaults.py? I keep
>getting errors when I try to put something there.

OK, you should NEVER edit Defaults.py

You put any overrides of any default values in mm_cfg.py

The reason for this is that Defaults.py gets overwritten on an
upgrade of the mailman code while mm_cfg.py does not.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the virtual host stuff to
help you as I don't use it myself.

>I need to set moderation of new accounts (including any which are
>subscribed and confirmed from here forward) to OFF.  Where is that
>setting? I see the one to toggle moderation on/off for all current
>subscribers on the main Membership List page, but that doesn't appear
>to affect new subscribers.

That is default_member_moderation setting on the Privacy Options ->
Sender Filters page.

You will also want to look at the settings for
member_moderation_action and member_moderation_notice while you are
there to set them as appropriate.

>Despite "Mod" being unchecked, all posts from my test subscribers
>result in an email to the list admin with:
>
>         As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
>         following mailing list posting:
>
>      List:    xxxxxx at xxxxxr.xxx
>      From:    xxxxx at gmail.com
>      Subject: And another test
>      Reason:  Message has implicit destination
>
>What does that mean?

It means that the list address or an acceptable alias did not appear
in the To: or CC: headers of the e-mail. You will get this if you
BCC: a list. You can turn this off if you like if you set
require_explicit_destination to NO on the Privacy Options ->
Recipient filters page.

Dragon