[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.6 and Office 2007 documents

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 27 04:03:14 CET 2008

Whitcomb, Jeff wrote:

>Has anyone run into issues with the Barracuda SPAM filter catching
>emails sent through mailman 2.1.6 with the new Office 2007 format
>documents attached?  The email admin says Barracuda is seeing the
>messages as containing a .zip attachment, not a .docx attachment.  We
>disabled the .zip filtering temporarily to work around the problem.  The
>email admin is contacting Barracuda to see if this is there problem, and
>I thought I would ping here to see if others might be having the same
>problem.

OT, but...

docx files are zip archives containing a number of xml files, so
Barracuda is recognizing the file by its content rather than by
extension.

Perhaps Barracuda would be willing/able to make their appliance perform
a more in depth content analysis to determine if this zip file appears
to be a docx or open document or Google Earth .kmz or other known file
type which is in fact a zip archive of other files, but apparently
they do not currently do this.