[Mailman-Users] Content filtering problem...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 25 04:55:59 CET 2008

Glenn Sieb wrote:

>I'm highly puzzled. I have a user trying to post on a list I own. She's
>getting "The message's content type was not explicitly allowed". The
>message is just a "Test post" from her, headers (anonymized) follow the
>email. There are *NO* entries in any of the mailman log files showing
>her posts being rejected or why. Postfix mail logs just show the
>outgoing mail from list-I-own-owner at .. going to her.
>
>Settings from content filtering:
>
>Should mailman filter? Yes
>Remove message attachments that have a matching content type: (blank)
>Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
>Leave this field blank to skip this filter test:  multipart/mixed
>multipart/alternative text/plain

So you are allowing only text/plain parts that are either a text/plain
message or a text/plain sub-part of a multipart/mixed or
multipart/alternative message

No text/html.

>Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension: exe
>bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
>Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
>extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.  (blank)
>Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
>content?  Yes

Irrelevant because you only accept the text/plain alternative in the
first place.

>Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
>happens after MIME attachments have been stripped: Yes

Irrelevant again because you don't accept text/html.

>Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules: Reject
>
>I'd appreciate any help :-/
<snip>

You don't accept text/html.

I suggest what you want in pass_mime_types is

multipart
message/rfc822
text/plain
text/html

This will accept all text plain parts and text/html parts, even from
attached message/rfc822 parts. Then multipart/alternative parts will
be collapsed to the first (probably text/plain) alternative, and any
remaining text/html parts will be converted to plain text by lynx or
whatever you set in mm_cfg.py for HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND.

If you also want to accept signed messages, you probably want to add

application/pgp-signature

to the above list.