[Mailman-Users] word "bounces" in from address

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 18 21:43:32 CET 2008

Chris Waltham wrote:

>On Mar 18, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Rod at freeserve wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem with my lists.
>> Until recently we ran on an old version of Mailman.
>> Users with Outlook saw messages coming from <listname>-admin at domain.net
>>  on behalf of
>> <sender>
>>
>> Now they see messages coming from <listname>-bounces at domain.net on
>> behalf of <sender>
>
>I just noticed the same thing going from Mailman 2.0.12 to 2.1.9.
>
>Interesting...

Mailman 2.0.x had no automated bounce processing, so the envelope
sender was sent to listname-admin at .. so that the list admin would see
the bounces and be able to react to them manually.

With the advent of automated bounce processing in Mailman 2.1, the
envelope sender is sent to listname-bounces at .. and mail to that
address is processed automatically as a bounce.

In an attempt to avoid confusion, the listname-admin at .. address was
deprecated in favor of listname-owner at ..

None of this is directly relevant to MS Outlook's "on behalf of"
display which uses the Sender: header, not the envelope sender.

Mailman, in an attempt to accommodate non compliant MTAs which might
return DSNs (bounces) to other than the envelope sender, puts the
bounce processing address in the Sender: and Errors-To: headers of the
message. Outlook actually uses the Sender: header and displays

   From: <sender> on behalf of <from>

instead of the

   From: <from>

displayed by most other MUAs.

Mailman's insertion of the bounce processing address in the Sender:
header is not completely wrong, but it probably isn't the best choice.
This will probably change in Mailman 2.2.