[Mailman-Users] Some detail questions about migrating lists

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 17 15:33:03 CET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> Most ISPs in the US simply allow relaying on their IP blocks...
>
> But, they don't absolutely need to support *secure* smtp auth - basic
> smtp auth would be much better than using and easily forged 'From:'
> header...
>
> I'd find another ISP/3rd party relay service...

Relaying on their IP blocks isn't the problem.  The problem is laptops
when you travel outside of their IP blocks and still want to run your
system in production mode, i.e. having daemons send email back home.
That's when they shut you down.  They don't seem to want the risk of
basic SMTP auth being cracked or sniffed, so they just refuse to relay
for anything outside their IP block, period, no matter what.

Since I don't want to have to reconfigure may laptop every time I leave
home, I need the relay service.  Because of that, it's also more
convenient for use on my home machines, since the relayer is more
lenient about what it thinks is spam or oversized mails.  All my systems
pretty much use the same configuration model that way.