[Mailman-Users] Some detail questions about migrating lists

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 17 15:15:24 CET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 3/17/2008, Frank Griffin (ftg at roadrunner.com) wrote:
>
>> My test machines all use a third-party relay server which requires
>> "From:" to be one of a fixed set of pre-registered values. I handle
>> this by using Postfix's "generic" file to rewrite the sender on
>> outbound messages to the 'frank.griffin' address above. Apparently,
>> it also rewrites the "Reply-To:" address.
>>

> Yuck... why? Worst case is they should require secure smtp auth (with
> TLS), which does NOT require rewriting the headers.

It's their billing model.  Most ISPs refuse to support secure SMTP
because of the perceived cost of encryption.  The relayer does, but
charges you twice as much for using TLS (actually, mails/bytes are
billed against your account limit at 2x their value).  But that's
unrelated to...

the fixed-address stuff: they sell allowable addresses in blocks of 15,
probably figuring that if you're representing more than 15 mail
addresses, you're really a business and should be paying more.  A real
nuisance for Linux systems where every daemon and his brother sends mail
with a different "From:" address.