[Mailman-Users] What is really required to go from 2.0.x to 2.1.y?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 14 18:37:15 CET 2008

Christopher Waltham wrote:

<process snipped, but it looks OK>

>The problem is when I run "bin/list_members" on a list of whose membership I know well. Amazingly, when I run that command, I see list members from around 2-3 years ago; I do not see list members whom I absolutely know are on that list. And then, well, I get so confused I can hardly stand. :)

I don't know, but I have a good guess. 2-3 years ago, someone tried to
migrate to Mailman 2.1.x and then reversed, but this process left
config.pck files (converted from the 2.0.x config.db files) in some or
all of the lists/<listname>/ directories.

The current list upgrade process is finding those old config.pck files
and using them in preference to the actually more current config.db
files.

>Does anyone have the faintest idea of what's going on? It's like I'm seeing a ghost. I know that copy of /home/mailman is, pre-upgrade, the same from the Sun server to the Linux server because there are unique files in there which I've placed myself.
>
>FWIW, I just made *another* copy of the /home/mailman directory from the Sun server, mounted it on the Linux server and DID NOT UPGRADE IT. Lo and behold, when I run bin/list_members, I see _correct_ users, _not old ones_.
>
>Thoughts? Am I going crazy?

Start with your good 2.0.12 installation and remove any config.pck and
config.pck.last files from the lists/listname/ directories and then
follow your upgrade procedure.

Then when you are satisfied with the results, remove the old config.db
and config.db.last files from the new installation so that they can't
be used as fallbacks 2 years from now.

A possibly viable alternative is to look at your 2.1.9 installation and
just remove the config.pck and config.pck.last files from any
lists/listname/ directory that has a config.db. Mailman will then
convert the config.db the first time the list is accessed, and if you
like that, you can then just remove the old config.db* files.